In the ping activity, I pinged three different websites. Other than the ping rate which is in milliseconds, I pretty much got the same result 4 packets sent with no loss. Based on my own professional experience, if you do have a packet loss, it’s usually a network impairment somewhere. Sometimes this could be on your ISP side, or it could be on your side like your network card or software on your computer. The traceroute command had more detailed information showing how many routers were passed through and how long it took to get from router to router. The routers that I’m referring to are the Internet Backbone “A complex network of fiber-optic cables, routers, switches, and other networking hardware makes up the internet backbone, which enables data transmission between various internet service providers (Lynch, 2023). Between the three websites I did a traceroute on, the milliseconds varied from router to router. From what I’ve learned over the years is that between 50ms and 120ms is good. Once you start to get around 150ms or higher you may have latency in your network. Ping and traceroute command can assist you with troubleshooting latency and internet connectivity issues.
I worked as a customer representative for DSL broadband, and I did a lot of troubleshooting using ping and traceroute. Most of the time, if the customer could not access the internet, we would try to ping their ISP provided router. If pinging the router was successful, and you still could not access the internet there was more than likely a firewall blocking the connection. I also had to troubleshoot customers issue who could not access a particular website. I would have the customer do a traceroute on their computer to see were we had a request time out. Most of the time, we could not fix that problem because when you send a packet you cannot determine how it’s going to get to that location. In that situation, we would send out another router in case the website blocked MAC address for the router.
Ping and Traceroute command are good troubleshooting tools. A couple issues that are talked about is latency and ping rate. From my experiences, the further a server the higher the ping rate. This explains why my ping rate to the .jp website may be a little higher than someone who actually lives in that geographical location. Depending on your location, your ping rate may be higher pinging google.com.au website versus google.com. With that said, ping and traceroute are good tools and are very necessary for troubleshooting connectivity issues. One thing to remember to is that you have limited control on how your packet gets to and from a destination.
Reference
Lynch, M. (2023). What is an Internet Backbone? The Tech Edvocate. https://www.thetechedvocate.org/what-is-an-internet-backbone/Links to an external site.
Vahid, F., & Lysecky, S. (2019). Computing technology for all. zyBooks.
Comments
Post a Comment