Skip to main content

Computers in the Workplace


Computers are important in most fields of work. Accessing the Internet or using e-mail was the most frequently reported task for the 77 million employees who used computers at work in October 2003 (Most Common Uses for Computers at Work : The Economics Daily : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2005). In my job field which is telecommunication we us computers several times a day.So, I just wanted to share how much computers have an impact in my field. I can't remember one day where I have not used a computer at work. My job relies heavily on being computer literate, there is not one job function that can be done without a computer. Whether it's sending emails or using computers for troubleshooting network issues on the cable plant.There are different programs you will have to learn in order to get through your day.

The computers we use have programs that make everything much easier because everything is so compact together. On the field technician side of telecommunication, we use laptops and tablets because of mobility. On the customer service side, they use PC's which stays in the office. It’s important to be computer illiterate in telecommunications because you must know how to send emails, use excel, and Microsoft word. We also have different training on topics such as cybersecurity and "how to" topics.

I started in telecommunications 15 years ago, and I can see the progression of using computers. When I first started, we had Nextel chirp phones, and progressed from there to iPhone and laptops. We used to go out of town for training, but now we use Microsoft teams on our laptops which is like Zoom. I believe that telecommunication is a unpredictable field, so I really can’t think of how it is going to be in the next 10 years. I think there will be more unique ways of troubleshooting customer issues as well as communicating with them. As of right now, customers can go online and chat with a customer service representative.I think it could get to point where Virtual Reality is use.

References
Most common uses for computers at work : The Economics Daily : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2005, September 2). https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2005/aug/wk5/art05.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Programming Languages

During week 1 of the Information Technoloy course, we discussed programming languages. There are many different languages that are use to make programs. We focused on Scratch which is a user friendly program which makes programming fun for kids or adults. In an interactive activity in our textbook I was able to use Python in which I thought was for advanced progammers. Python was a little more difficult to use than Scracth. With Python you have to know how to make your own algorithms to make some programs work. And I believe that's what made it harder beacuse you have to know what code to use. On the other hand, Scratch was a very good program to use for novice users because most of the code is precoded. There are code blocks that you can use to make simple programs. I believe it is a good way to give someone an understanding of what can be done with programming. I had the pleasure of using Scratch and making a program. If you would like to check it out the link is below. In m...

Documenting a Day

In Week 2 of my Information Technology course, I created a journal where I created an entry on how Microsoft Word is used daily.Most of my encounters with Microsoft Word are at work and at home doing my school work.Most of Microsoft Windows’s software that is used for writing and presentation have some of the same functionality. The ribbon bar on the top of each program is identical on each application. Microsoft word, Excel and Power Point all have a home, insert, design, and draw selections and they all include word formatting option. It may have been done purposely because it makes it easier for the user when switching between each software program. School Assignments Writing Most of my school assignments are written in word processor in an essay form. I’ am given a directive from our instructor about how the essay needs to be formatted. Most academic papers for writing assignments are done in APA format. There must be a title and reference page. Font and size must be done acc...

Network Security

There are many people that use the internet daily, according to PEW 85% of Americans say they use the internet daily, including 31% who say they use it almost constantly, 48% who say they use it several times a day, and 6% who say they use it once or twice a day (Pew Research Center, 2021). Most of us may use the internet for web browsing or for checking email. There are several important things an internet user should know when browsing around. And there are many problems an internet user can run into while browsing.The internet is full of safe things to do, but you must be aware of everything you do. Internet safety should be a big concern for internet users. There are serveral network security vulnerabilities that a user could encounter while using the internet.These vulnertabilities could include a Ping, DDos, Phishing attack, or Email spam. Phishing attacks are carried out through email or text messages and can be very damaging to an internet user. Phishing emails and text mes...